Indoor air quality can greatly impact your health and overall well-being. A home with poor air quality will cause you to feel sluggish and increase your chance of experiencing headaches, nausea and allergy-related symptoms. Fortunately, there are three secrets that will help you improve your homes indoor air quality.
- Regularly cleaning your home will keep your home fresh while also reducing the amount of indoor pollutants in the air. However, cleaning products and improper techniques can cause more harm than good. In order to make sure your home is kept looking its best with little to no contaminants in the air, perform the following steps:
- Dust with a damp cloth and work from the highest point (tops of bookshelves, etc.) down.
- Vacuum your home at least every other day with a quality vacuum cleaner that contains a HEPA filter.
- Get rid of chemical cleaners and use safe and organic items that do not leave behind toxic residue and fumes.
- Use unscented deodorants, shampoos, soaps and lotions.
- Do not smoke cigarettes or cigars indoors.
- Do not use aerosol products in the home.
- Replace harsh chlorine bleach with the safe alternative oxygen bleach.
- Purchase carbon monoxide and radon detectors in various locations of your home. A detector will alert you when carbon monoxide and radon reach dangerous levels. Install the detectors on each floor of your home, closest to the bedrooms.
- Regularly change your air filter.
- Use an air purifier to remove microscopic particles such as dust, mold spores, dander and odor from the air.
These three secrets will start you on the path to a cleaner, fresher and healthier home. For information on how you can improve your indoor air quality, consult the experts at Wolff Mechanical.