For many residents of central Arizona, allergies are a part of daily living. But you can allergy-proof your home in just seven highly-effective steps:
- Vacuum regularly with a machine that uses HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters. Instead of sweeping bare floors, use a dusting mop that traps dust instead of dispersing it.
- Leave shoes on the porch. Don’t bring outside dirt and other particles inside the home. Before entering, remove shoes and leave them in a box or rack on the porch.
- Use dehumidifiers. Rooms with high humidity lead to an overgrowth of mold. Mold is an allergy trigger. In bathrooms, wash down sinks, stalls and tubs with diluted bleach to curb its growth. If the bathroom has a window, leave it open occasionally so the room can dry naturally.
- Keep pets clean. Pets tend to shed — a lot. Brush animals outside and bathe them frequently to reduce the amount of loose fur.
- Wash bedding in hot water. Hot water kills germs. The human body sheds skin cells constantly, providing meal after meal to dust mites. Encase mattresses and pillowcases in allergy-proof covers.
- Eliminate bugs, insects and rodents. Their droppings contribute to allergy problems. Rodents and insects love free food and water. Fix leaks and store food so that it is inaccessible to critters.
- Keep windows closed when the pollen count is high. Run your air conditioner to help keep allergy triggers outside. Make sure to keep your A/C serviced and operating at its optimal level.
For help in allergy-proofing your home, contact us at Wolff Mechanical. We have served central Arizona since 1990.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about allergy-proofing your home and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Wolff Mechanical services the Phoenix Valley area in Arizona. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!