Advanced technology has helped to create many products for today’s home that make it a better place to live. Homeowners now have access to energy-efficiency upgrades for heating, cooling, water and appliances that add comfort, convenience and increased value to a home.Energy-efficiency upgrades cut costs, conserve energy, protect the environment, and add valuable features to your home that prospective buyers will find appealing.
- Heating – In most climates, we would advise homeowners to upgrade to a high-efficiency furnace if their current model is more than 10-15 years old. However, in the Phoenix area, cooling efficiency is much more important than heating efficiency, and adding a more expensive high-efficiency furnace to your home’s HVAC system isn’t likely to add enough value to make it a worthwhile investment, whether you’re selling your home or not. Plus, because of the infrequent use, furnaces tend to last longer in the Valley of the Sun than locations with cooler climates.
- Cooling – Energy Star certified central air conditioners and heat pumps have higher SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) ratings. They are significantly more efficient that older models, and they run quieter, require less maintenance, and provide more even cooling.
- Programmable Thermostats – smart thermostats let you program temperatures to fit your schedule. You can set the thermostat to lower temperatures automatically when you’re away or sleeping. Thermostats can be remotely activated from any smart-phone, tablet or computer.
- Water – energy-efficient toilets, faucets and shower heads will save water and money. Low-flow toilets can save 4,000 gallons of water each year. WaterSense faucets and shower heads have motion sensors that turn water on and off by touch or as you approach the faucets.
- Windows – Energy Star labeled windows can save you up to $500 each year on cooling and heating costs. Although upfront costs are expensive, tax credits and rebates are available, and new home buyers will pay more for this energy-efficient feature.
- Appliances – water heaters, refrigerators, dishwashers, and washers and dryers come as Energy Star certified models with state-of-the-art features that conserve energy and reduce operating costs.
Energy-efficiency upgrades will make your home more efficient and comfortable. If you decide to sell, buyers will pay more for an energy-efficient home, so keep records of your upgrades and maintenance.
Wolff Mechanical can help you with expert advice on home comfort needs and energy-efficiency upgrades for your home. We have serviced Phoenix, Scottsdale and Central Arizona for 20 years. For more information, contact us.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Phoenix Valley area of Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock