It still feels like summer most days in Central Arizona, but don’t let that fool you into thinking fall weather isn’t close at hand. To get into the spirit of the changing season, schedule your furnace tune-up soon to ensure that it’s in proper working order before you need it. The benefits of annual maintenance include higher system efficiency, lower energy bills, a longer system life and fewer breakdowns during the winter.A qualified HVAC professional from a reputable company will perform a comprehensive tune-up of your system that should include these key points:
- Lubricate the moving parts to prevent damaging friction.
- Inspect the vents for damage and obstructions to ensure proper venting of combustion gases.
- Inspect the wires and terminals for corrosion, and apply nonconductive coating where needed.
- Test the burner combustion for safety.
- Check for carbon monoxide leaks.
- Inspect the heat exchanger for cracks and other damage.
- Test the airflow for efficient operation.
- Inspect the ductwork for obstructions and loose joints.
- Flush the condensate drain to prevent obstructions that can cause overflow and shut down your system.
- tighten gas and electrical connections.
- Test the system controls to ensure your furnace cycles properly.
- Check the thermostat for accuracy.
Maintenance on your furnace shouldn’t end when your technician leaves.
- Each month, check your air filter. When it’s dirty, replace it with a clean filter to improve your indoor air quality, ensure proper airflow, and prevent damaging dust from building up inside your system.
- Before your turn on your furnace this year, test your smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors and replace the old batteries with fresh ones. If you don’t have CO detectors installed in your home, place one on every floor, as close to the ceiling as possible, with one in close proximity to your main sleeping area.
- Post the emergency number of your gas company near your furnace, and if you smell gas, call them immediately and vacate your home.
For more expert advice about the importance of your annual furnace tune-up, please feel free to contact us at Wolff Mechanical, helping Phoenix and Scottsdale area residents comfortable year-round.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Phoenix Valley area of Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock