If you or a member of your household is experiencing symptoms like sore throat, eye irritation, headaches, nausea or dizziness, the cause may be invisible allergens known as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can reduce your home’s indoor air quality (IAQ). Within nearly every home, off-gassing VOCs are present due to their sheer pervasiveness. Thankfully, simple changes can improve your IAQ and the health of your entire family.
In addition to allergy-like symptoms, VOCs are also known to damage internal organs and are suspected carcinogens, making removal or reduction important in all homes. VOCs concentrate indoors due to certain care products, cleaning supplies, carpets, furnishing, building materials, etc. While levels are certainly highest anytime a chemical product is being used or during the drying phase, these pollutants remain in the air for an extended period of time and are continuously released at lower levels by household items.
The following tips will help you reduce invisible allergens in your home:
- Always use adequate ventilation while applying and during the drying period for paints, glues, etc. Purchase the smallest container that meets your needs, and be sure to properly seal and store unused portions.
- Never run your vehicle within any garage, even with the door open. Although dangerous in all situations, attached garages are especially of concern, as VOCs can pass through the shared wall between your home and garage.
- Replace toxic cleaning supplies with simple products, such as vinegar and baking soda or with a natural formulation currently available.
- Keep specific houseplants in key places within your home, since they can trap VOCs in the air.
- Consider investing in an air cleaner equipped with a carbon filter to remove VOCs and other airborne pollutants from your home.
Homeowners in the Central Arizona area seeking additional expert advice on removing invisible allergens or with questions about any other home comfort issue can contact Wolff Mechanical, Inc. today. We’ve been ranked the no.1 HVAC company in Arizona for 10 years running!
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Phoenix Valley area of Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Olena-Zaskochenko/Shutterstock”