The last thing many homeowners consider is the motor technology used in their home’s HVAC system. With the demands that Arizona’s climate places on a home’s HVAC equipment, however, it’s important to understand the concept, as choosing the right motor technology can greatly increase efficiency, reduce energy waste and save you money.
What kind of fan motors are out there?
- Permanent split capacitor/induction motor ( PSC) technology has long been the standard in the HVAC industry. PSC motors are the least costly of the main motor types because they contain few mechanical components. Their simple and durable design are also widely universal and can be used for most retrofit applications. They generate excessive heat, however, consume more energy, and are the loudest of the motor technologies.
- Gaining ground in the HVAC industry is the electronically commutated motor (ECM) variable-speed motor technology. This technology has been in use in HVAC equipment for more than 20 years, but has become more popular with government incentives and growing demand for more efficient home energy options by consumers.
What makes ECMs more efficient than traditional motors?
DC design: A built-in inverter and magnet rotor achieve greater efficiency and allows the ECM to run cooler than standard induction motors that use alternating current (AC) only. They do not require additional components to combat heat generation.
- Variable speed: An internal computer allows your HVAC professional to program the most efficient speeds for your heating and cooling needs. Units can be run when and how much you want instead of continuously at full power, much like a dimmer switch in lighting.
- Quiet operation: Because ECMs maintain a high level of efficiency at a variety of speeds (65-75 percent), fan motor noise is not a problem.
- Airflow control: Built-in controls that operate constantly help maintain consistent temperatures and energy efficiency.
For more information about how to increase your HVAC unit’s motor efficiency, contact the professionals at Wolff Mechanical. We’re proud to serve all of the Phoenix Valley with the most competitive rates in the area.